|At the End of the Rope|
|Initial release date||18th July 2013|
|Partner(s)||David Jones (All Chapters)|
Alex Turner (Additional Investigation)
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|Dead Man Running||The Devil's Playground|
At the End of the Rope is a case featured in Criminal Case, appearing as the thirty-fifth case of the game as well as the city of Grimsborough. It takes place at the University, a district based in Grimsborough.
Penelope wanted to get closer to her best friend, Lisa, and decided to scare the victim so that she could comfort her. She started to send bullying messages to Lisa on Friendnet anonymously, but unfortunately for Penelope, it did not work out since Lisa never talked to her about the messages and began spending all her time by herself or with Tess Goodwin. Then one day, Lisa asked Penelope to meet her in the University's library. Penelope went there happily, thinking that her best friend would finally get even closer to her. But when Penelope went there, she encountered a furious Lisa, who then told her that she knew she was the one harassing her on Friendnet (the @rtist had informed her about this), and that she hated her now. Lisa said many more things to Penelope and also kept shouting at her, until Penelope finally had enough. She got enraged and pushed Lisa with full strength, causing the victim to fall down hard and become unconscious. Penelope then took a rope from under the desk and hanged Lisa.
The murder was thought to be a suicide at first, but had been confirmed as a murder per Nathan's autopsy and Luke Harris, who wanted to tell the truth behind Lisa's death, which contributed to Penelope deceiving the team.
- Lisa Edwards (found hanging from a noose in Grimsborough University's Library)
- Penelope Rivera
- The killer drinks coffee.
- The killer uses Friendnet.
- The killer watched The Hangman Murders.
- The killer wears glasses.
- The killer wears lipstick.
- Investigate Library. (Clues: Victim's Body, Tablet; Victim identified: Lisa Edwards; New Suspect: Penelope Rivera)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Rope)
- Talk to Penelope Rivera. (Prerequisite: Library investigated)
- Examine Tablet. (Result: Tablet)
- Analyze Tablet. (00:05:00; New Suspect: The @rtist)
- Talk to The @rtist. (Prerequisite: Tablet analyzed; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Hacker's Room)
- Investigate Hacker's Room. (Clue: Broken Hard Drive)
- Examine Broken Hard Drive. (Result: Hard Drive)
- Analyze Hard Drive. (00:05:00)
- Talk to Luke Harris. (All tasks before must be done first)
- Go to Chapter 2. (2 stars)
- Investigate Study Desk. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clue: Faded Letter)
- Examine Faded Letter. (Result: Suicide Note)
- Analyze Suicide Note. (12:00:00; Attributes: The killer drinks coffee, uses Friendnet, and watched The Hangman Murders; New Suspect: Tess Goodwin; Profile updated: Luke watched The Hangman Murders)
- Talk to Tess Goodwin. (Prerequisite: Suicide Note analyzed; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Subway Platform; Profile updated: Tess drinks coffee, watched The Hangman Murders, and uses Friendnet)
- Investigate Subway Platform. (Prerequisite: Tess interrogated; Clues: Torn Paper, Portfolio)
- Examine Torn Paper. (Result: Copy)
- Examine Copy. (Result: Brown Substance)
- Analyze Brown Substance. (06:00:00; Profile updated: Luke drinks coffee)
- Talk to Luke Harris. (Prerequisite: Brown Substance analyzed; Profile updated: Luke uses Friendnet)
- Examine Portfolio. (Result: Pamphlet)
- Examine Pamphlet. (Result: Unknown Phone Number)
- Analyze Unknown Phone Number. (06:00:00; New Suspect: Caroline Fitzgerald)
- Talk to Caroline Fitzgerald. (Prerequisite: Unknown Phone Number analyzed; Profile updated: Caroline drinks coffee and watched The Hangman Murders)
- Go to Chapter 3. (2 stars)
- Profile updated: The @rtist uses Friendnet
- Investigate Computer Station. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clue: Laptop)
- Examine Laptop. (Result: Mails)
- Analyze Mails. (03:00:00)
- Talk to Caroline Fitzgerald. (Prerequisite: Mails analyzed; Profile updated: Caroline uses Friendnet)
- Talk to Penelope Rivera. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Profile updated: Penelope drinks coffee, watched The Hangman Murders, and uses Friendnet)
- Investigate Subway Seats. (Prerequisite: Penelope Rivera; Clue: Book)
- Examine Book. (Result: Book Page)
- Examine Book Page. (Result: Red Substance)
- Analyze Red Substance. (12:00:00)
- Talk to Tess Goodwin. (Prerequisite: Red Substance analyzed; Attribute: The killer wears lipstick; Profiles updated: Penelope wears lipstick, Caroline wears lipstick)
- Talk to The @rtist. (Prerquisite: Caroline Fitzgerald interrogated)
- Investigate Library. (Prerequisite: The @rtist interrogated; Clue: Broken Cam)
- Examine Broken Cam. (Result: Webcam)
- Analyze Webcam. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears glasses)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Additional Investigation. (No stars)
- Check up on Luke Harris. (Available after unlocking Additional Investigation)
- Examine Unknown DVD. (Prerequisite: Luke interrogated; Result: Surrealistic DVD)
- Investigate Library. (Prerequisite: Surrealistic DVD identified; Clue: Luke's DVD)
- Give the DVD back to Luke. (Prerequisite: Library investigated; Reward: Burger)
- Check up on Caroline Fitzgerald. (Available after unlocking Additional Investigation)
- Investigate Subway Platform. (Prerequisite: Caroline interrogated; Clue: Crumpled Paper)
- Examine Crumpled Paper. (Result: Love Note)
- Give the note to Caroline Fitzgerald. (Prerequisite: Love Note unraveled; Reward: 18,000 Coins)
- Challenge the @rtist. (Available after unlocking Additional Investigation)
- Investigate Hacker’s Room. (Clue: Pencil Case)
- Examine Pencil Case. (Result: Memory Card)
- Analyze Memory Card. (06:00:00)
- Ask more about the @rtist’s identity. (Prerequisite: Memory Card analyzed; Rewards: Friendnet Hoodie, Hacker Mask)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The case is a nod to the Alfred Hitchcock movie Rope.
- This case is the only case to feature four attributes on a suspect's profile.
- Every suspect in this case appeared in The Rorschach Reaper (Case #41 of Grimsborough).
- The movie A Trip to the Moon Luke mentions in his leg of this case's Additional Investigation is a real movie from 1902.
- In the crime scene "Study Desk", the computer on the desk displays Criminal Case on its screen.