|Initial release date||15th January 2015|
|Partner(s)||Amy Young (Chapter 1, Chapter 2 & Ivywood Confidential 8)|
Russell Crane (Chapter 3 & Ivywood Confidential 8)
Frank Knight (Ivywood Confidential 8)
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|The Ship of Dreams|| Road to Nowhere|
(in Rhine Canyon)
Dead Carpet is a case featured in Criminal Case, appearing as the ninety-fourth case of the game. It is the thirty-eighth case of Pacific Bay and the final one to take place in the Ivywood Hills district.
Roxie Sparks and Frank Knight were looking forward to the Ivywood Film Awards occurring in a few hours. Amy Young and the player made it clear that they were more concerned about the notorious Utopians' devilish scheme: to brainwash the millions of people watching the awards into joining the cult by placing a brainwashing tape. Frank said that the Utopians could not possibly function without their leader, Holly Hopper, who committed suicide about a week ago. Russell Crane said that the police force should not let its guard down under any circumstances. With Chief Marquez gone and brainwashed, Amy and the player headed to the red carpet of the Ivywood Awards Theater to ensure safety.
Amy and the player found a movie producer named Tyler Snakes dead on the red carpet, apparently suffocated. Tyler was the Utopian in charge of supervising the Awards ceremony. The duo immediately shipped Tyler's corpse to Roxie for autopsy, pressed for time as the awards ceremony was about to start. Amy and the player had to subdue the television room of the Awards Theater where the Utopians would put the brainwashing tape in. With the help of Hannah Choi, the Utopian temple was found and investigated.
Furthermore, Hannah managed to retrieve a text message and a call sent to Tyler by none other than Holly Hopper. This meant that Holly's suicide was nothing more than an act. Hannah was able to pinpoint Holly's location in the Ivywood Heights Hotel. Amy and the player found the gossip columnist dressed up as a socialite to keep a low profile, but the two saw through it. The columnist soon disclosed that she had to lay low for a while and that she used connections and special effects to fake her suicide.
In the middle of the case, Amy was found brainwashed. Russell took over as the player's partner for the remainder of the investigation. Russell helped the player find a cigarette case within the TV room. Yann Toussaint identified the poisonous cigarettes inside it as the murder weapon. Despite the twists and turns the police force had to deal with during the investigation, the team gathered enough evidence to incriminate Utopian femme fatale, Velma Bannister.
During the moment of her arrest, Velma offered a smoke to the player as a condition to have her rights read while she waited for her husband's lawyers to arrive. Russell, with his manipulative demeanour, asked the femme fatale to refrain from smoking—especially with poisoned cigarettes. Velma proceeded to state that the police had nothing against her. Russell pointed out that everyone admired Velma's persistence. Tyler, on the other hand, had the guts to reject her and bruise her ego immensely. Velma broke down and finally admitted that she was indeed responsible for Tyler's death. Her motive, however, was to gain access to the TV room.
Velma believed she could "save" Ivywood from the Utopians' brainwashing plan. Instead of being brainwashed to follow the cult, she wanted to use her own recording to brainwash people into thinking she was the most beautiful woman, and to obeying and loving her. However, Tyler stood in the way between Velma and her plan, so she took Tyler out. As the statement came to an end, Russell and the player shipped the femme fatale to trial.
In court, Velma said she used her charm all her life to seduce people to get what she wanted. The older she became however, the more difficult it got. She believed that there was always going to be someone younger and more beautiful than her, with Tyler making her realize that her powers were slowly fading with age. However, Velma, yearning fame, refused to be uglier than someone else, so she formulated her plan. Hearing enough, Judge Dante, disappointed by not being able to watch the ceremony, finally sentenced the femme fatale to 18 years of hard time for the premeditated murder of Tyler Snakes.
Following the indictment, Frank, Roxie, and Jupiter Crane were found brainwashed after watching the ceremony. With even more pressure, Russell and the player interrogated psychiatrist Trevor Neuman, a Utopian liable for inventing the brainwashing method for the cult. Trevor admitted that he created the brainwashing technique, but felt that there was no way to reverse its effects. The player arrested Trevor for being a part of the illicit scheme, and went to the TV room to find the brainwashing tape. Upon finding the tape, Hannah developed a psychological cure that healed Chief Marquez, Amy, Frank, and Roxie. Hannah also made sure the cure get aired on all the channels worldwide, in an effort to save everyone under the effects of the brainwashing.
With Ivywood psychologically cured, Holly was arrested for good. Furthermore, Chief Marquez praised the player's skills before the Utopian temple was checked for one final time in order to ensure no additional threats ensued. Meanwhile, Russell and his father finally settled their differences after all the years of separation and hatred, finding that Holly cut off communication between the two to keep the cult secure. The Chief was also impressed by the player's leadership in her absence, so as a reward, she opted to transfer her entire team to the district of Rhine Canyon.
- Tyler Snakes (murdered on the red carpet on Awards night)
- Poisonous Cigarettes
- Velma Bannister
- The killer has seen A Puff of Death.
- The killer takes Nevrax.
- The killer is a Capricorn.
- The killer has blonde hair.
- The killer's blood type is A+.
- Investigate Red Carpet. (Clues: Victim's Body, Envelope, Photo of Velma; Victim identified: Tyler Snakes)
- Examine Photo of Velma. (Result: Velma's Message to Tyler; New Suspect: Velma Bannister)
- Ask Velma Bannister about the photo she gave to the victim. (Prerequisite: Velma's Message to Tyler unraveled)
- Examine Envelope. (Result: Awards Building Plan; New Crime Scene Unlocked: TV Room)
- Investigate TV Room. (Prerequisite: Awards Building Plan found; Clues: CCTV Terminal, Torn Poster, Victim's Badge)
- Examine Torn Poster. (Result: Utopian Prophecy Poster; New Suspect: Brett Nolan)
- Ask Brett Nolan about the Utopian Prophecy. (Prerequisite: Poster restored)
- Examine CCTV Terminal. (Result: CCTV Control)
- Analyze CCTV Control. (12:00:00; New Suspect: Jupiter Crane)
- Ask Jupiter Crane why he was kicked out of the Awards Theater. (Prerequisite: CCTV Control analyzed)
- Analyze Victim's Badge. (06:00:00)
- Examine Molecule. (Prerequisite: Victim's Badge analyzed; Attribute: The killer takes Nevrax)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer has seen A Puff of Death)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Investigate Utopian Temple. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Shrine, Nevrax Box, Torn Photo)
- Examine Shrine. (Result: Card)
- Analyze Card. (06:00:00; Attribute: The killer is a Capricorn; Profile updated: Jupiter is a Capricorn)
- Examine Torn Photo. (Result: Photo)
- Ask Brett about his row with the victim. (Prerequisite: Photo restored; Profile updated: Brett has seen A Puff of Death and takes Nevrax)
- Examine Nevrax Box. (Result: Doctor's ID)
- Analyze Doctor's ID. (12:00:00; New Suspect: Trevor Neuman; Profile updated: Trevor takes Nevrax)
- Ask Dr Neuman about the Nevrax box found in the Utopian Temple. (Prerequisite: Doctor's ID analyzed; Profile updated: Trevor has seen A Puff of Death; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Theater Front Desk)
- Investigate Theater Front Desk. (Prerequisite: Trevor interrogated; Clues: Faded Photo, Locked Phone)
- Examine Faded Photo. (Result: Photograph)
- Ask Jupiter Crane about his wife's photograph. (Prerequisite: Photograph unraveled; Profile updated: Jupiter takes Nevrax)
- Examine Locked Phone. (Result: Victim's Phone)
- Analyze Victim's Phone. (12:00:00; New Suspect: Holly Hopper)
- Ask Holly Hopper how she came back from the dead. (Prerequisite: Victim's Phone analyzed; Profile updated: Holly has seen A Puff of Death and takes Nevrax)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)
- Investigate Utopian Altar. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Torn Page, Faded Note, Holly's Purse)
- Examine Torn Page. (Result: Experiments)
- Analyze Experiments. (09:00:00)
- Ask Dr Neuman about the document found in the Utopian Temple. (Prerequisite: Experiments analyzed; Profile updated: Trevor is a Capricorn)
- Examine Faded Note. (Result: Velma's Note; Profile updated: Velma takes Nevrax)
- Ask Velma about her argument with the victim. (Prerequisite: Velma's Note unraveled; Profile updated: Velma has seen A Puff of Death and is a Capricorn)
- Examine Holly's Purse. (Result: Newspaper)
- Ask Holly Hopper about her rivalry with the victim. (Prerequisite: Newspaper found; Profile updated: Holly is a Capricorn)
- Investigate Control Panels. (All tasks before must be completed; Clues: Broadcasting Equipment, Capricorn Brooch)
- Examine Broadcasting Equipment. (Result: Cigarette Case)
- Analyze Cigarette Case. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer has blonde hair; Murder Weapon registered: Poisonous Cigarettes)
- Examine Capricorn Brooch. (Result: Blood Sample)
- Analyze Blood Sample. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer's blood type is A+)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Ivywood Confidential 8. (No stars)
Ivywood Confidential 8
- Ask Dr Neuman to reverse the brainwashing. (Available after unlocking Ivywood Confidential)
- Investigate TV Room. (Prerequisite: Trevor interrogated; Clue: Locked Chest)
- Examine Locked Chest. (Result: Videotape)
- Examine Videotape. (Result: Brainwashing Movie)
- Analyze Brainwashing Movie. (09:00:00)
- Arrest Holly Hopper once and for all. (Prerequisite: Brainwashing Movie analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Red Carpet. (Prerequisite: Holly interrogated; Clue: Faded Script)
- Examine Faded Script. (Result: Script Title)
- Ask Brett about the script. (Prerequisite: Script Title unraveled; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Utopian Temple. (Prerequisite: Holly interrogated; Clue: Holly's Belongings)
- Examine Holly's Belongings. (Result: Letters)
- Examine Letters. (Result: Letters to Russell)
- Analyze Letters to Russell. (06:00:00)
- Bring Jupiter and Russell back together. (Prerequisite: Letters analyzed; Reward: [MALE] Red Carpet Suit, [FEMALE] Red Carpet Dress)
- Move on to a new crime (in Rhine Canyon)! (1 star)
- The Ivywood Film Awards is most likely a parody of the Hollywood Film Awards, an American motion picture award ceremony held annually since 1997.
- This is one of the various cases in which Amy and Frank interact with each other.
- This is one of the several cases in which more than one suspect gets arrested.
- This case is one of the only district finales which entirely feature familiar suspects.