|Death on Wheels|
|Initial release date||20th March 2014|
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|Shark Attack!||What Dies Beneath|
Chief Marquez congratulated the player for having successfully solved their previous murder investigation alongside Amy. She then informed the player that Frank had returned from his anger management course and that he would be the player's partner for the next case. As Frank walked inside shortly thereafter, Chief Marquez advised the player to ignore the fact that he looked like "a bit of a slob" as he was still a great detective deep inside. Frank, however, showed a lack of respect to Chief Marquez as he joined the discussion and took pride in explaining how he had actually went to Beerfest instead of attending his anger management course, much to the Chief's dismay. Frank then offered to show the player around and, per his suggestion, the two headed for the underbelly of Ocean Shore, only to witness a horrific street racing crash and start their first murder investigation alongside each other.
The victim of the crash was a street racer named Carlos Antonio, who was found by the team tied up to the murdering race car with the top-most part of his skull pryed open due to violent contact with the concrete, meaning Carlos was tortured to death with the car. The killer turned out to be a tattoo artist/designer named Shawn Bailey.Shawn believed that a stripper named Memphis Banach was his to take because he fell in love with her the first day he met her, but Memphis fell in love with Carlos, and in spite of Carlos's wife-beating antics, Carlos fell in love with the stripper as well. Shawn convinced Memphis to turn Carlos to the police, file a complaint, but Shawn's suggestion did not work because Memphis and Carlos were in love with each other and would never turn one another to the police no matter what. Shawn tried to reason with Carlos by texting him, but that antic also did not work. Shawn was fed up with Carlos dating Memphis, so Shawn hijacked a street racing car parked near where he lived, loitered throughout town, headed to Derek Stone's party, and convinced Carlos to run in the night's race. Moments after Shawn escorted Carlos out of Derek's flat, he punched Carlos unconscious, strapped him to the car hood with chains, and drove the car at full speed to scrape Carlos's head like a strawberry jam canister until he crashed into the crime scene.
Judge Dante (with Frank's cooperation) sentenced Shawn to 20 years in jail, 5 years for street racing and 15 years for killing Carlos. Shawn replied with anger that he saved Memphis from Carlos and declared himself innocent, but Dante countered that Shawn brought more terror to Memphis's life, and then made his decision final.
In the aftermath of Shawn's indictment, Derek beat up a vigilante named Naomi Suzuki, as Naomi realized Derek had not paid up for his past due traffic violations. Derek was forced to pay for those traffic violations to prevent Frank from revoking his driving license. Trouble in Ocean Shore became inevitable following the close of the case.
- Carlos Antonio (tortured till death with a racing car)
- Street Racing Car
- Shawn Bailey
- The killer knows car mechanics.
- The killer smokes weed.
- The killer has bruises.
- The killer wears diamond earring.
- The killer wears a tattoo.
- Investigate Car Crash. (Clues: Car Pieces, GPS Pad, Victim's Body; Victim identified: Carlos Antonio; Murder Weapon registered: Street Racing Car)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer has bruises)
- Examine Car Pieces. (Result: Steering Wheel)
- Examine Steering Wheel. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer knows mechanics)
- Examine GPS Pad. (Result: Derek's Apartment)
- Investigate Apartment. (Prerequisite: Derek's Apartment found on unlocked GPS Pad; Clues: Pile of Panties, Damaged Photograph; New Suspect: Derek Stone)
- Question Derek Stone about the Killer's Car. (Prerequisite: Apartment investigated)
- Examine Pile of Panties. (Result: Phone)
- Examine Phone. (Result: Unlocked Phone)
- Analyzed Unlocked Phone. (09:00:00; New Suspect: Shawn Bailey)
- Question Shawn Bailey about his threat sent to the victim. (Prerequisite: Unlocked Phone analyzed)
- Examine Damaged Photograph. (Result: Photograph)
- Analyze Photograph. (06:00:00; New Suspect: Memphis Banach)
- Ask Memphis Banach about her relationship with the victim. (Prerequisite: Photograph analyzed)
- Go to Chapter 2. (1 star)
- Question Becky Walden about her video of the murder. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clue: Becky's Phone)
- Examine Becky's Phone. (Result: Motorcycle)
- Analyze Motorcycle. (12:00:00; New Suspect: Naomi Suzuki; Profile updated: Naomi knows mechanics)
- Ask Naomi Suzuki what she was doing on the Crime Scene. (Prerequisite: Motorcycle analyzed)
- Investigate Tattoo Parlor. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Stack of Mags, Shift Schedule)
- Examine Stack of Mags. (Result: Bent Butterfly Knife)
- Analyze Bent Butterfly Knife. (06:00:00; Attribute: The killer smokes weed)
- Examine Schedule. (Result: Shawn's Schedule)
- Ask Shawn what he knows about the killer's car. (Prerequisite: Schedule unraveled; Profile updated: Shawn knows mechanics)
- Investigate Living Room. (Prerequisite: Shawn interrogated; Clues: Torn Paper)
- Examine Torn Paper. (Result: Complaint Form)
- Analyze Complaint Form. (09:00:00)
- Talk to Memphis Banach about the victim beating on her. (Prerequisite: Complaint Form analyzed; Profile updated: Memphis knows mechanics)
- Go to Chapter 3. (2 stars)
- Talk to Naomi Suzuki about her losing her parents in a car accident. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3)
- Talk to Derek Stone about him organizing street races. (Prerequisite: Naomi interrogated; Profiles updated: Derek smokes weed, Shawn smokes weed, Memphis smokes weed)
- Investigate Design Table. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clue: Blue Sticker)
- Examine Sticker. (Result: QR Code)
- Analyze QR Code. (09:00:00)
- Ask Becky Walden why she called a manhunt on the killer. (Prerequisite: QR Code analyzed)
- Investigate Street Race Car. (All tasks before must be completed; Clues: Leather Headrest, Box of Chains)
- Examine Leather Headrest. (Result: Residue)
- Analyze Residue. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears a diamond earring)
- Examine Box of Chains. (Result: Towel)
- Examine Towel. (Result: Substance)
- Analyze Substance. (09:00:00; The killer wears a tattoo)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Additional Investigation. (No stars)
- Investigate Tattoo Parlor. (Available after unlocking Additional Investigation; Clue: Tattoo Tools)
- Examine Tattoo Tools. (Result: Torn Photo)
- Examine Torn Photo. (Result: Restored Photo)
- Ask Memphis about Naomi's whereabouts. (Prerequisite: Torn Photo restored; Rewards: [MALE] Chippendale Costume, White Cowboy Hat, [FEMALE] Pink Wig, Stripper Costume)
- Ask Becky what happened to Naomi. (Prerequisite: Tattoo Parlor investigated)
- Investigate Car Crash. (Prerequisite: Becky interrogated; Clue: Bloodied Helmet)
- Examine Helmet. (Result: Blood Sample)
- Analyze Blood Sample. (09:00:00)
- Question Derek about his fight with Naomi. (Prerequisite: Blood Sample analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Apartment. (All tasks before must be completed; Result: Speeding Ticket)
- Examine Speeding Ticket. (Result: Note on Speeding Ticket)
- Force Derek Stone to pay his fine. (Prerequisite: Note on Speeding Ticket unraveled; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The case's title may be a reference to the American Western television series Hell on Wheels.
- The video-sharing website called "TrendVid", which is mentioned various times in the case, is most likely a parody of YouTube.
- In the "Car Crash" crime scene:
- An artwork depicting Mickey Mouse can be spotted near the airport sign. Interestingly enough, it is a collectable object.
- The lime green, the white, the blue, the maroon, the metallic yellow, and the dark yellow sports cars strongly resemble the Toyota Supra Mark IV, the 1999 Ford Mustang GT, the Dodge Charger LX, the Ferrari F430, the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS, and the 2005 Ford Mustang GT-R Concept, respectively.
- The animated illustration of the car that Shawn uses to murder Carlos is strongly based on the 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR.
- In the crime scene "Living Room", the collectable object "Robot mask" is an obvious parody of Iron Man's signature robot mask.
- When examining the pile of magazines found at the "Tattoo Parlor" crime scene, several golf magazines featuring Tony Webb and Harold Knight from Drive, Swing, Die can be noticed.
- "Sawa" motorcycles is a parody of Kawasaki motorcycles, and the one which Naomi rides is a modified dual exhaust version of the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300.
- The QR code on Becky's sticker is functional and points to Pretty Simple's official website.