HistoryThe city of Grimsborough was founded by William Cooper in 1845. It is known that William, at some point in his life, settled in the Historical Center district of the city along with his pet dog, Ellington.
According to William's descendant, Ashton Cooper, Grimsborough was only the leftovers of a small Pilgrim settlement before his ancestor built it.
William also has a statue of him built at Cooper Park in the Financial Center.
The city of Grimsborough features six different districts.
Financial Center is the second district of Grimsborough. This district is reminiscent to the real-world Wall Street and Central Park in New York. Roman Harris, known as the architect of the city, is the one who designed and built the Financial District. It is a business-orientated district and many of its inhabitants are business-oriented people.
Historical Center is the third district of Grimsborough. This district features many historical novelties of Grimsborough as well as being near a forest preserve and a lake. As the name implies, this is where the founder, William Cooper, and his pet dog, "Ellington", settled in. The Historical Center was founded by Baron Salvadore.
University is the fourth district of Grimsborough. As an aptly named district, it is a schooling institution with an accredited baccalaureate college, a football field, and several schooling fronts.
Maple Heights is the fifth district of Grimsborough. It is considered to be an affluent district of the city.
Airport is the sixth and final district of Grimsborough. It is a "hidden" district which can be unlocked after completing It All Ends Here. All cases in this district require investigation in a crime scene from the past, with its events dated from 1642-1649.
- The name of the city, "Grimsborough", is a pun on "grim" and "borough"—with "grim" (very serious or gloomy) referring to the dark secrets of the city, and "borough" (a town or district which is an administrative unit) referring to the city itself. Hence, "Grimsborough" would be defined as a "very serious or gloomy city", referring to the city's dark secrets which were finally unearthed in There Will Be Blood.
- Each district in Grimsborough features a different theme and/or focuses on a particular event, as described in the following:
- Industrial Area is all about organized crime and gang activity.
- Financial Center focuses on arrogant business-oriented people who only think of money, not to mention the district's finale that centers on a powerful and corrupt businessman who's motivated by greed.
- Historical Center mainly focuses on the annual Dog Pageant competition.
- University mostly consists of spoiled students who only think of fame and themselves. It mainly focuses on the highly anticipated annual Grimsborough University Prom Ball event.
- Maple Heights deals with self-centered people, and focuses on the Mayoral Elections.
- Airport focuses on digging deep into the gloomy mysteries of Grimsborough that need to be unearthed before the notoriously secret society known as The Crimson Order takes over the city.