|Into the Woods|
|Initial release date||23rd October 2014|
|Partner(s)||Frank Knight (All Chapters)|
Duncan Young (Additional Investigation)
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|Hearts of Ice||The Hunger Planes|
Into the Woods is a case featured in Criminal Case, appearing as the eighty-third case of the game and the twenty-seventh case of Pacific Bay. It takes place in White Peaks, a district based in Pacific Bay.
As much as he did not like the abundance of nature, Frank and the player headed up to a timber mill in Logan's Pass to ask for directions to a bar. There, they found travel writer and tourist Paula Mahler tied to a saw table and partially cut in half by the running arbor saw. A murder investigation ensued and soon enough, they found Ruthie Samson, Logan's Pass's director of tourism, to be guilty of the murder.
Ruthie insisted that she and Paula were friends but she eventually admitted to the murder when Frank informed her of the evidence that the team had collected. Ruthie was disappointed when she saw that Paula did not write anything spectacular about Logan's Pass in her tour guidebook. Paula wanted to remove Logan's Pass entirely from her guidebook which enraged Ruthie.
Ruthie resorted to kill Paula for her betrayal. She pretended to be Judd Tucker, a lumberjack who saved Paula's life, to lure Paula into the timber mill. Paula climbed onto the saw table to escape Ruthie, who was cornering her. Paula lost traction, allowing Ruthie to tie her up to the saw table. Ruthie turned on the arbor saw. She started feeling remorse so she stopped the saw before it reached her heart. However, the saw had already killed her by cutting a vital artery. The player then arrested Ruthie.
Ruthie justified the murder in court by insisting Paula should have worked with Ruthie during the tour guide creation. Judge Dante made it clear that there were non-violent ways to deal with Paula's insubordination. As a result, Judge Dante issued a 25-year jail sentence (without parole) to Ruthie.
After the trial, Chief Marquez ordered Frank and the player to check up on RCMP officer Brian MacKenzie and to do one final check in the timber mill of Logan's Pass before work resumed. Frank and the player discovered that Brian and Judd were fending for themselves from the Night Walker. Besides that, Duncan Young consulted Allen Muir for clues to the Night Walker.
- Paula Mahler (tied to a saw table and partially cut in half)
- Timber Mill Saw
- Ruthie Samson
- The killer knows knot making.
- The killer has contact with wood mushrooms.
- The killer wears hiking boots.
- The killer has bruises.
- The killer is 60 or older.
- Investigate Timber Mill. (Clues: Saw Operation Button, Faded Card, Victim's Body; Murder Weapon registered: Timber Mill Saw)
- Examine Saw Operation Button. (Result: Dark Powder)
- Analyze Dark Powder. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer had contact with wood mushrooms)
- Examine Faded Card. (Result: Business Card; New Suspect: Ruthie Samson)
- Ask Ruthie Samson about her business card. (Prerequisite: Business Card unraveled; Victim identified: Paula Mahler; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Victim's Tent)
- Investigate Victim's Tent. (Prerequisite: Ruthie interrogated; Clues: Victim's Backpack, Mountie Badge)
- Examine Victim's Backpack. (Result: Torn Card)
- Examine Torn Card. (Result: Thank You Card; New Suspect: Judd Tucker)
- Ask Judd Tucker about the victim's thank you card. (Prerequisite: Thank You Card restored)
- Examine Mountie Badge. (Result: Badge Number)
- Analyze Badge Number. (09:00:00; New Suspect: Brian MacKenzie)
- Ask Brian MacKenzie about his Mountie Badge. (Prerequisite: Badge Number analyzed)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Attribute: The killer knows knot making)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Investigate Stone Circle. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Broken Gadget, Map; New Suspect: Allen Muir)
- Ask Allen Muir about his attacks in the woods. (Prerequisite: Stone Circle investigated; Profile updated: Allen had contact with wood mushrooms)
- Examine Broken Gadget. (Result: Compass)
- Examine Compass. (Result: Black Chunks)
- Analyze Black Chunks. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears hiking boots; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Picnic Table)
- Investigate Picnic Table. (Prerequisite: Black Chunks analyzed; Clues: Torn Paper, Pile of Leaves)
- Examine Torn Paper. (Result: Free Stay Voucher)
- Ask Ruthie about the voucher she gave to Paula. (Prerequisite: Free Stay Voucher restored; Profile updated: Ruthie knows knot making, had contact with wood mushrooms, and wears hiking boots)
- Examine Pile of Leaves. (Result: Tape Recorder)
- Analyze Tape Recorder. (12:00:00)
- Talk to Brian about Paula hurting his horse. (Prerequisite: Tape Recorder analyzed; Profile updated: Brian knows knot making, had contact with wood mushrooms, and wears hiking boots)
- Examine Map. (Result: Fingerprint)
- Examine Fingerprint. (New Suspect: Melody Rivers)
- Ask Melody Rivers about her threat to Paula. (Prerequisite: Melody's Fingerprint identified; Profile updated: Melody knows knot making and had contact with wood mushrooms)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)
- Question Judd about his suicide attempt. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Profile updated: Judd knows knot making, had contact with wood mushrooms, and wears hiking boots)
- Investigate Broken Slabs. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Camera Bag, Notebook)
- Examine Camera Bag. (Result: Broken Camera)
- Examine Broken Camera. (Result: Camera)
- Ask Allen about the photo Paula took of him. (Prerequisite: Camera restored; Profile updated: Allen knows knot making)
- Examine Notebook. (Result: Drawing)
- Analyze Drawing. (09:00:00)
- Ask Melody about her drawing. (Prerequisite: Drawing analyzed; Profile updated: Melody wears hiking boots)
- Profile updated: Allen wears hiking boots (All tasks before must be completed)
- Investigate Work Bench. (Clues: Torn Poster, Hard Hat)
- Examine Torn Poster. (Result: Safety Poster)
- Analyze Safety Poster. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer has bruises)
- Examine Hard Hat. (Result: Hair)
- Analyze Hair. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer is at least 60 years of age)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Additional Investigation. (No stars)
- Investigate Timber Mill. (Available after unlocking Additional Investigation; Clue: Bag)
- Examine Bag. (Result: Pistol Sword)
- Examine Pistol Sword. (Result: Pistol Sword Serial Number)
- Question Judd Tucker about his weird weapons. (Prerequisite: Pistol Sword Serial Number deciphered, Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Ask Brian MacKenzie what's going on. (Available after unlocking Additional Investigation)
- Investigate Victim's Tent. (Prerequisite: Brian interrogated; Clue: Broken Trinket)
- Examine Broken Trinket. (Result: Amulet)
- Analyze Amulet. (06:00:00)
- Reassure Brian MacKenzie about the amulet. (Prerequisite: Amulet analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Check up on Allen Muir. (All tasks before must be done first)
- Investigate Stone Circle. (Prerequisite: Allen interrogated; Clue: Notebook)
- Examine Notebook. (Result: Night Walker Notes)
- Analyze Night Walker Notes. (06:00:00)
- Ask Melody Rivers what she's found about the Night Walker. (Prerequisite: Night Walker Notes analyzed; Reward: Pilot Uniform)
- Move on to a new crime! (No stars)
- It is highly suggested that the title of this case is a reference to the Broadway musical Into the Woods.
- Paula's guidebook, "Pretty Planet", is an obvious reference to Pretty Simple.