Ling was a Chinese immigrant who was flagged by Aicha Ben Malek as an illegal immigrant. Ling worked as a shopkeeper for Yuan Wong in her herbal shop inside Inner City's Little China (called Yuan's Garden). Ling had long black hair tied to a braided ponytail and wore a red cheongsam and had black eyes.
Ling was found hung to a street banner in Inner City's Little China shortly after Chief Marquez ordered Amy and the player to go to Inner City to witness the melting pot premise under Hannah's accommodation. After careful autopsy, Roxie found out the heart was removed from Ling's body, her observations led her to believe the killer used a serrated blade to do the dirty work. Furthermore, Roxie found acupuncture needles pinned to the victim's neck to stun the victim, giving the killer plenty of room for error—suggesting the killer practiced acupuncture.
Later on, Amy and the player found a coin with the victim's blood and sent it to Yann for analysis. As Yann was only qualified to do physical, biological, and clinical analysis, he was accommodated by Russell for the analysis due to the blood coming from the victim. Russell was able to determine that the killer gambled based on the blood sample Yann pulled out.
Nearing the end of the investigation, Amy and the player found a Chinese dagger matching the description of Roxie's autopsy examination — which confirmed that the blade was used to off Ling — and a Chinese tin box with acupunture needles inside. In addition, the player found yellow filaments and pollen on both the acupunture needles and the Chinese dagger respectively and samples were sent to Yann for examination. Yann was able to determine that the killer wore a red rose and had blond hair after careful examination of the pollen and the yellow filament respectively.
Killer and motives
The killer turned out to be political figure and Russian purist Ivana Golovanov.
After blaming the Chinese for the murder, Ivana admitted to the crime. Ivana found out about her brother's wedding with Ling. Unable to tolerate having Chinese blood in her family, she stabbed Ling with a Chinese dagger, removed her heart and claimed it as a trophy. Judge Dante sentenced her to 20 years in jail.
- Although the picture is hard to read, the "Denied Immigration Document" confirmed Ling to be 22 years of age at the time of her death.
- Ling's death at the hands of Ivana (due to Piotr secretly marrying Ling, meaning Ivana was Ling's sister-in-law) is one of the instances of domestic homicide in Pacific Bay.
- As revealed in the finale of Inner City—Ling, Radovan, and Angus's respective organs were all stolen by none other than the crooked surgeon Mark McKenzie, who was eventually arrested for his involvement in the organ-stealing scheme as he obeyed his contractor's orders to remove the organs and give them to him in clandestine terms.
- Heartless (Case #11 of Pacific Bay)
- Eastern Promises (Case #13 of Pacific Bay; mentioned)
- Killing Time (Case #16 of Pacific Bay; mentioned)
- Under the Skin (Case #17 of Pacific Bay; photo cameo and mentioned)