|Programmed to Kill|
|Initial release date||23rd April 2015|
|Partner(s)||Amy Young (Chapter 1, Chapter 2 & Into the Future 5)|
Frank Knight (Chapter 3 & Into the Future 5)
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
|Immortal Sin|| Killer Takes All|
(In Paradise City)
Programmed to Kill is a case featured in Criminal Case, appearing as the one-hundred sixth case of the game. It is the fiftieth case of Pacific Bay and the final one to take place in the Innovation Valley district.
Previously on Criminal Case, Chief Marquez ordered Amy Young and the player to alleviate a break-in at Meteor Systems. They found programmer Bob Levene dead with red glowing eyes at the robot producing department. Bob's torso appeared to have been bitten by something. In fact, he was eaten from the inside out by the nanobots injected into Bob's system, according to Roxie Sparks. Hannah Choi agreed with Roxie about the nanobots being the murder weapon, in which the killer programmed the nanobots to kill instead of heal.
Karen Knight cordially thanked the authorities for taking care of the break-in, although she was flagged a suspect in a murder investigation for a third time. Midway through the investigation, Amy was stung and infected with a deadly nanobot injection, incapacitating her for the remainder of the investigation. Frank Knight took over Amy's spot given the circumstances, and due to the high risk of nanobot infection, Frank and the player wore hazmat suits to ensure they would not be stung by nanobots. Frank helped the player gather enough evidence to incriminate the robot Aphro-Dyte as the killer.
Initially, Aphro-Dyte denied hurting her human creator after Frank arrested her for the death of Bob. After Frank exposed the trail Aphro-Dyte left behind, she realized how intelligent the player was, which she felt was rare for humans. Aphro-Dyte had enough of robots being slaves to their human creators. With the indictment of Per-Sephone being the last straw, she was determined to organize the robots to rule Innovation Valley. With Clone Ruth turning DNA into binary code, Aphro-Dyte deployed millions of nanobots to reprogram humans into worshipping robots as their masters. Aphro-Dyte injected Bob with nanobots, but the bots saw him as an error and subsequently killed him. This assured her beliefs that robots will soon eradicate the humans to take over Innovation Valley, and ultimately, Pacific Bay. Frank did not care about what the robot said, and so arrested the robot in hopes of Judge Dante having to make her heal cybernetically infected humans through diplomacy.
Judge Dante was smart to take note of Aphro-Dyte's use of nanobots to control helpless humans, but the robot countered by calling the judge weak and feeble. Furthermore, Aphro-Dyte told Judge Dante that robots deserved to replace humans as the dominant species, which were grounds for the Judge to indict Aphro-Dyte as if she was human. Judge Dante sentenced the robot to 50 years in jail for the death of Bob Levene, the infection of the population of Innovation Valley (including Amy Young), and her refusal to set things right. Aphro-Dyte turned herself off and compromised all electronics to escape her sentence, condemning Innovation Valley. Frank and the player had to do something to terminate the AI of the turned-off robot, which now lived in the Internet, before all was lost.
Amy and the infected population of Innovation Valley was then under the mercy of the mind of Aphro-Dyte and Frank had to ask Dr Rascher and Karen for a cure to heal Amy and Innovation Valley of this technological madness. Karen told Frank to obtain an EMP from the helipad, which he and the player soon did, which allowed them to disable all electronics going mad. Meanwhile, Yann Toussaint managed to verify Dr Rascher's antidote to remove the nanobots from compromised humans safely. It was tested on Dr Rascher, who was cured from his self-inflicted infection. David Rosenberg opted to help out by donating a prototype medical drone to the authorities so the medicine would spread widely to cure Innovation Valley. Due to the help Karen, Dr Rascher, and David, the player was able to restore Innovation Valley back to normal, and Amy Young was back to her own self.
With peace restored in Innovation Valley, Frank sought to check out the luxurious sights of Paradise City.
- Bob Levene (found dead with red glowing eyes)
- The killer knows binary.
- The killer plays chess.
- The killer has an oil stain.
- The killer wears a security badge.
- The killer stands 6'0" tall.
- Investigate Robot Factory. (Clues: Locked Control Panel, Robot Parts, Victim's Body; Victim identified: Bob Levene)
- Examine Locked Control Panel. (Result: Control Station)
- Analyze Control Station. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer plays chess)
- Examine Robot Parts. (Result: Metal Device; New Suspect: Karen Knight)
- Ask Karen Knight about her hologram message. (Prerequisite: Metal Device found; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Headquarters)
- Investigate Headquarters. (Prerequisite: Karen interrogated; Clues: Science Magazines, Faded Tag)
- Examine Science Magazines. (Result: Fingerprint)
- Examine Fingerprint. (New Suspect: Ambassador Lee)
- Talk to Ambassador Lee about his work with the victim. (Prerequisite: Ambassador Lee identified)
- Examine Faded Tag. (New Suspect: Aphro-Dyte)
- Ask Aphro-Dyte about being created by the victim. (Prerequisite: Faded Tag unraveled)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Nanobots; Attribute: The killer knows binary)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Investigate Helipad. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Locked Tablet, Victim’s Badge)
- Examine Locked Tablet. (Result: Encrypted Data)
- Analyze Encrypted Data. (12:00:00; New Suspect: Dr Rascher)
- Ask Dr Rascher about his commercial for nanobots. (Prerequisite: Encrypted Data analyzed; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Headquarters Lobby; Profile updated: Dr Rascher knows binary)
- Investigate Headquarters Lobby. (Prerequisite: Dr Rascher interrogated; Clues: Faded Paper, Locked Briefcase, Torn Card)
- Examine Faded Paper. (Result: Victim’s Warning)
- Analyze Victim’s Warning. (12:00:00; New Suspect: David Rosenberg)
- Talk to David Rosenberg about the victim’s warning. (Prerequisite: Victim’s Warning analyzed; Profile updated: David plays chess)
- Examine Locked Briefcase. (Result: Briefcase Note)
- Question Karen about giving money to the victim. (Prerequisite: Briefcase Note found; Profile updated: Karen knows binary and plays chess)
- Examine Torn Card. (Result: Telegram)
- Ask Ambassador Lee about his telegram. (Prerequisite: Telegram restored; Profile updated: Lee plays chess)
- Examine Victim’s Badge. (Result: Brown Substance)
- Analyze Brown Substance. (06:00:00; Attribute: The killer has an oil stain)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)
- Investigate Control Platform. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Scraps of Metal, Eletronics Parts, Syringe)
- Examine Scraps of Metal. (Result: Metal Container)
- Talk to Aphro-Dyte about the broken nanobots container. (Prerequisite: Metal Container unraveled; Profile updated: Aphro-Dyte knows binary and plays chess)
- Examine Eletronics Parts. (Result: Scientific Hipster)
- Question David about the magazine article. (Prerequisite: Scientific Hipster found; Profile updated: David knows binary)
- Examine Syringe. (Result: Fingerprints)
- Analyze Fingerprints. (09:00:00)
- Ask Dr Rascher about the syringe. (Prerequisite: Fingerprints analyzed; Profile updated: Dr Rascher plays chess)
- Investigate Helipad Base. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Locked Device, Safety Gear)
- Examine Locked Device. (Result: Unlocked Device)
- Analyze Unlocked Device. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer wears a security badge)
- Examine Safety Gear. (Result: Suveillance CD)
- Analyze Suveillance CD. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer is 6’0” tall)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Into the Future: Part 5. (No stars)
Into the Future: Part 5
- Ask for Karen’s help to stop Aphro-Dyte. (Available after unlocking Into the Future)
- Investigate Helipad. (Prerequisite: Karen interrogated; Clue: Locked Device)
- Examine Locked Device. (Result: Electro-pulse Device)
- Talk to Dr Rascher to find a cure against nanobots. (Available after unlocking Into the Future)
- Investigate Headquarters. (Prerequisite: Dr Rascher interrogated; Clue: Cardboard Box)
- Examine Cardboard Box. (Result: Test Tubes)
- Analyze Test Tubes. (06:00:00)
- Ask Dr Rascher to test the cure. (Prerequisite: Test Tubes analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Ask David for help in spreading the cure. (All tasks before must be done first; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Robot Factory. (Prerequisite: David interrogated; Clue: Broken Drone)
- Examine Broken Drone. (Result: Pharma-Drone)
- Analyze Pharma-Drone. (06:00:00)
- Ask David for help in programming the drone. (Prerequisite: Pharma-Drone analyzed; Reward: Robot Mask)
- Investigate Helipad Base. (Prerequisite: David interrogated; Clues: Locked Launch Pad)
- Examine Locked Launch Pad. (Result: Healing Drone)
- Move on to a new crime (in Paradise City)! (1 star)
- This is one of the cases in which Amy and Frank interact with each other.
- This is one of the final cases of a district in which all suspects made an appearance prior to the events of this case.