|Initial release date||26th March 2015|
|← Preceded by||Succeeded by →|
| No Place Like Home|
(in Rhine Canyon)
Smart Money is a case featured in Criminal Case, appearing as the one-hundred second case of the game. It is the forty-sixth case of Pacific Bay and the first to take place in the Innovation Valley district.
Chief Marquez cordially welcomed the player to Pacific Bay's high-tech district, Innovation Valley, where masters of computer science rule. Not trusting Frank, Chief Marquez sent Amy to help the player supervise a party in Meteor Systems, in their takeover of drone provider Drone Zone, in which Chief Marquez wanted the party to run smoothly.
The party turned into a murder investigation when the late Meteor Systems CEO, Ernest Turing, was found lifeless at the Drone Zone office, blood dripping from his mouth due to asphyxiation caused by the large amount of dollar bills stuffed on his mouth. The player shipped Ernest to Roxie to launch the murder investigation.
The murder investigation took a turn for the weird as they had to treat a prototype robot named Per-Sephone as a suspect. The team winded up interrogating more suspects: programmer Bob Levene, factory worker Zhou Li, widow Teresa Turing, and Drone Zone head David Rosenberg through the Drone Zone office, Innovation Valley Park, and the server room of Meteor Systems. In an unexpected arrest, Amy and the player arrested the robot Per-Sephone.
Amy thought that the player was nuts after evidence pointed Per-Sephone as the killer. Per-Sephone claimed that she only helped people, not hurt them. Amy went down to business by telling Per-Sephone of the evidence they acquired. Per-Sephone said she wanted to grant her master's wish for wealth by using Ernest's standby button to "turn him off" and filling his circuits with money. After doing so, she was dumbfounded to see that he did not "turn on" again. As much as Amy found the arrest weird, she had to allow the player to ship the robot to Judge Dante for trial.
Judge Dante felt that this was the weirdest indictment yet given that he had to sentence a machine rather than a human. Per-Sephone told Judge Dante that even though she was made out of metal unlike humans, she still knew how to love humans. Per-Sephone only wanted to be a learning machine, like Ernest wanted her to be. Judge Dante knew that the law was above everybody, even robots, and so he had to sentence the robot in one way or another. Since he could not afford to dismantle machines, he decided that Per-Sephone had to be turned off until her microchip, including but not limited to her programming, would be wiped clean so that she would not make the same mistakes again.
Realizing that robots may turn against their human masters, Amy opted to do a technological audit with the help of Bob Levene, hoping to find how a robot like Per-Sephone went wrong. Meanwhile, Teresa was given the reigns over his company, Meteor System, per Ernest's will. Despite Amy's suspicions due to Teresa having no experience in the business world, they still had to follow the victim's will. The player and Amy felt that Per-Sephone's actions could lead to something even bigger in the district.
- Ernest Turing (stuffed to death with money)
- The killer practices yoga.
- The killer reads comic books.
- The killer knows binary code.
- The killer has blue eyes.
- The killer stands 5'6" tall.
- Investigate Company Office. (Clues: Victim's Body, Locked Drone, Ice Bucket)
- Examine Locked Drone. (Result: Weaponized Drone; New Suspect: David Rosenberg)
- Talk to David Rosenberg about the dangerous drone. (Prerequisite: Weaponized Drone unraveled; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Park)
- Investigate Park. (Prerequisite: David interrogated; Clues: Robot [New Suspect: Per-Sephone], Victim’s Badge)
- Talk to Per-Sephone, the victim’s robot. (Prerequisite: Park investigated)
- Examine Victim’s Badge. (Result: Black Substance)
- Analyze Black Substance. (03:00:00; Attribute: The killer reads comic books)
- Examine Ice Bucket. (Result: Faded Plane Ticket)
- Examine Faded Plane Ticket. (Result: Ticket Details; New Suspect: Teresa Turing)
- Talk to Teresa Turing about the death of her husband. (Prerequisite: Ticket Details unraveled)
- Autopsy Victim's Body. (18:00:00; Murder Weapon registered: Money; Attribute: The killer practices yoga)
- Go to Chapter 2. (No stars)
- Investigate Server Room. (Available after unlocking Chapter 2; Clues: Locked Computer, Faded Circuit Board)
- Examine Locked Computer. (Result: Pixelated Portrait)
- Examine Pixelated Portrait. (New Suspect: Bob Levene)
- Question Bob Levene about his taunting message. (Prerequisite: Pixelated Portrait unraveled)
- Examine Faded Circuit Board. (Result: Distress Message)
- Analyze Distress Message. (12:00:00; New Suspect: Zhou Li)
- Ask Zhou Li about her distress message. (Prerequisite: Distress Message analyzed; New Crime Scene Unlocked: Fountain)
- Investigate Fountain. (Prerequisite: Zhou interrogated; Clues: Victim’s Bag, Locked ATM, Broken Pieces)
- Examine Victim’s Bag. (Result: Company Closure Notice)
- Ask David Rosenberg about the closure of Drone Zone. (Prerequisite: Company Closure Notice unraveled)
- Examine Locked ATM. (Result: Empty ATM)
- Analyze Empty ATM. (12:00:00; Attribute: The killer knows binary code)
- Examine Broken Pieces. (Result: Robot Head)
- Talk to Teresa Turing about the robot head that looks like her. (Prerequisite: Robot Head restored)
- Go to Chapter 3. (No stars)
- Investigate Server Equipment. (Available after unlocking Chapter 3; Clues: Faded Paper, Victim’s Glasses, Electronic Equipment)
- Examine Faded Paper. (Result: Deportation Order)
- Ask Zhou Li why the victim was trying to deport her. (Prerequisite: Deportation Order unraveled)
- Examine Victim’s Glasses. (Result: Golden Liquid)
- Analyze Golden Liquid. (09:00:00)
- Talk to Per-Sephone about the robot blood on the victim’s glasses. (Prerequisite: Golden Liquid analyzed)
- Examine Electronic Equipment. (Result: Statue)
- Examine Statue. (Result: Award Winners)
- Ask Bob Levene about winning an award with the victim. (Prerequisite: Award Winners unraveled)
- Investigate Break Room. (All tasks before must be done first; Clues: Broken Machine, Locked Device)
- Examine Broken Machine. (Result: Eye Scanner)
- Analyze Eye Scanner. (09:00:00; Attribute: The killer has blue eyes)
- Examine Locked Device. (Result: Unknown Device)
- Analyze Unknown Device. (15:00:00; Attribute: The killer is 5’6” tall)
- Take care of the killer now!
- Go to Into the Future: Part 1. (No stars)
Into the Future: Part 1
- Ask Bob about Per-Sephone’s actions. (Available after unlocking Into the Future)
- Investigate Server Room. (Prerequisite: Bob interrogated; Clue: Maintenace Box)
- Examine Maintenace Box. (Result: Locked Tablet)
- Examine Locked Tablet. (Result: Data Log)
- Analyze Data Log. (09:00:00)
- Quiz Bob about Per-Sephone’s intelligence. (Prerequisite: Data Log analyzed; Reward: Burger)
- Investigate Company Office. (Available after unlocking Into the Future; Clue: Torn Document)
- Examine Torn Document. (Result: Tech Paper)
- Analyze Tech Paper. (06:00:00)
- Inform David about what his technology is capable of. (Prerequisite: Tech Paper analyzed; Reward: 20,000 Coins)
- Investigate Park. (All tasks before must be done first; Clue: Faded Folder)
- Examine Faded Folder. (Result: Victim’s Will)
- Analyze Victim’s Will. (06:00:00)
- Give the victim’s will back to Teresa. (Prerequisite: Victim’s Will analyzed; Reward: Robot Outfit)
- Move on to a new crime! (1 star)
- The title comes from the phrase "smart money" which means money bet or invested by people with expert knowledge.
- The main plot of this case is likely to have been inspired by the 2004 American film I, Robot.
- This is one of the cases in which Amy and Frank interact with each other.
- The glasses that Hannah Choi is wearing at the beginning of the case is an obvious reference to Google Glass.